Brian Conybeare, Anchor
Award-winning journalist Brian Conybeare joined the ABC57 News team as a main anchor in January 2018 and his reporting is already having an impact on Michiana. Brian helped shine a light on the racial divide between his hometown of Benton Harbor and its “twin city” across the river, St. Joseph with a 2019 special series called “The River” investigating the deaths of six African American men whose bodies were found in the water separating the two communities. Brian’s work on a 2020 half-hour special titled “Love. Honor. Betrayal.” about the heart-wrenching love triangle murder of a U.S. Army soldier from Benton Harbor earned him a Chicago Emmy Award, his fourth Emmy overall and first at ABC57.
Prior to joining ABC57, Brian worked as a general assignment reporter and fill-in anchor at CBS2 News in New York City. During his time there, Brian did extensive reporting on the terror attacks in New York, the 2016 presidential campaign, consumer scams and took viewers on exclusive tours inside a troubled nuclear power plant and New York’s growing medical marijuana industry.
Before joining CBS2 News, Brian worked as a special advisor on the New NY Bridge Project to replace the Tappan Zee Bridge over the Hudson River. During his role as spokesman on the $3.9 billion project, he hosted hundreds of meetings with residents, business groups and schools helping people understand what was, at the time, the nation’s largest infrastructure project.
Brian also served as main anchor and managing editor at News12 Westchester where his investigative reporting earned him three New York Emmy Awards, five Edward R. Murrow Regional Awards and a national award from the Society of Professional Journalists. He covered major stories including the 9/11 terror attacks, the Pope’s 2008 visit to New York City and did exclusive investigations into a parking ticket scam involving a national car rental chain and rigged promotional giveaways at the Yonkers Raceway Casino that led to three arrests.
Brian earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications from the University of Michigan and a Master’s Degree in Journalism and Mass Communications from New York University.
He currently lives in St. Joseph, Michigan with his wife Janna, their four children and two dogs. Brian loves spending time with family on the shore of Lake Michigan, playing basketball, and tailgating at Michigan football games.
Articles by Brian Conybeare
- March to the Memorial works to bring community together
- The lasting legacy and impact of 9/11 in Michiana
- WATCH: Shots fired: The Eric Logan investigation
- Indiana State Police launch investigation against South Bend Fire Department
- The River: What really happened to Eric McGinnis?
- One year later, health officials discuss the challenges brought by COVID-19
- WATCH: Conquering the Coronavirus
- Candidates for Michigan’s 6th US Congressional District discuss election
- Warrant issued for the arrest of a South Bend community activist
- One-on-one with Vice President Mike Pence
- Conquering the Coronavirus: Local doctor survives COVID-19
- Keeping the lights on during the pandemic
- New Benton Harbor Schools Superintendent on a mission to turn district around
- Family bringing excessive force complaint to city commission
- Benton Harbor police officer accused of excessive force
- FULL STORY: Love.Honor.Betrayal. - The murder of Tyrone Hassel III
- Buttigieg rallies supporters in hours before Iowa caucuses
- How the Iowa Caucuses differ from traditional primary polling
- Pete Buttigieg bolsters support on the final day in Iowa
- Hemp taking root in Berrien County
- ABC57 investigates a South Bend Firefighter cheating scandal
- Too much force? Part 3
- Too much force? Part 2
- Too much force? Part 1
- Drewerys Brewery site remains center of controversy
- Twin Cities Harbor: Transforming the waterfront
- Can Pete Buttigieg jump from South Bend mayor to the White House?
- Fighting Back Podcast: Following up with two sexual harassment victims
- Fighting back: Firefighter allegedly sexually harassed multiple women over several years
- Forum for democratic candidates for South Bend mayor held at IUSB
- DNA & privacy
- Marshall County native arrested in deadly Florida bank shooting
- New U.S. Senator Mike Braun on the federal government shutdown
- Year in Review 2018: Benton Harbor Area Schools
- Joe Donnelly concedes, Mike Braun wins Indiana's US Senate seat
- The River: Bridging the divide (Part 3)
- The River: The divide (Part 2)
- The River: Lingering questions (Part 1)
- Brian Conybeare explains standing wager for Notre Dame vs. Michigan game
- One on one with former President Jimmy Carter
- South Bend cyclist expresses pothole concerns to Mayor Buttigieg
- History of the Elkhart County 4-H Fair
- Benton Harbor School Board announces new CEO and website
- Welcoming Breanne Palmerini to ABC 57 News
- MACOG studying how to meet future infrastructure needs
- RV industry vital to Elkhart County's economic resurgence
- Local steel fabricating company expanding, concerned about steel tariffs
- President's visit highlights Elkhart's booming economy
- South Bend Cubs owner brings Major League touches to Minor League baseball
- Driverless cars becoming a reality despite safety concerns
- Michigan one of 3 possible sites for intercept missile facility