River Valley High School cancels varsity football season
THREE OAKS, Mich. -- River Valley High School in Three Oaks has cancelled all of its boys varsity football games for the rest of the season, except for Homecoming on October 18.
The team started off with just 18 players at the beginning of the season.
Last week, the players boycotted football practice, so the coach cut the three players who started the boycott and suspended the participants of the boycott for a week, according to Superintendent William Kearney.
After the players were removed, the coach, superintendent and interim athletic director realized they didn't have enough players to continue the season, the superintendent said.
While most of the remaining games of the season have been canceled, the homecoming game on October 18 is still on the schedule.
The superintendent said they are hoping they can get a JV team together to play at homecoming.
While he's disappointed in the student's actions that led to them being cut or suspended, he stands by the coach's decision, the superintendent said.
"I heard tonight from the village President and he said 90 percent plus in the community support the decision," Kearny said.
The school district plans on holding a full varsity football season next school year.