Man charged in murder of Anthony Long

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. - A South Bend man been charged for his role in the robbery and death of 38-year-old Anthony Long in February, the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office announced.

The prosecutor's office filed charges against 32-year-old Cecil Huston on June 10.

On August 2, U.S. Marshals apprehended Huston without incident in Indianapolis.

Huston was charged with one count of murder, one count of felony murder, one count of armed robbery, and a firearm enhancement.

At 2:36 a.m. on February 26, South Bend Police officers were called to the intersection of West Monroe Street and South Lafayette Boulevard for a shots fired report.

At the scene, officers found Long unconscious in his vehicle and suffering from gunshot wounds.

Long's wallet and keys were missing from his vehicle and person.

Surveillance video from a different location depicted Long with his wallet and keys prior to the murder.

Traffic camera video showed two vehicles at the intersection at the time of the murder: Long's vehicle and a maroon Ford Fusion that left the scene.

Witnesses at the scene reported seeing a tall man wearing only a white T-shirt lean into and shoot inside Long's vehicle.

The man then got into the vehicle for a short time before getting out.

A second person stood next to the Fusion and yelled, "let's go," to the shooter, witnesses said.

The shooter then got into the driver's seat of the Fusion and drove away.

South Bend Police discovered the Fusion was registered to Huston's mother, according to reports.

Video surveillance from Elkhart and South Bend depicts Huston, wearing only a white T-shirt, and a woman in the maroon Fusion on the night of Long's death.

Huston's cell phone GPS placed him at the intersection of Monroe and Lafayette at the time of Long's death, reports said.

Officers interviewed Huston and the woman on March 2.

Huston allegedly told police he hadn't driven the Fusion on the night of the murder and had been in Elkhart with the woman and his girlfriend.

The woman originally told police she was at a club in Elkhart during that time and hadn't seen Huston, reports said.

When officers told her Huston admitted to being with her, the woman then said she had been out with Huston, reports said.

Both Huston and the woman denied being in the maroon Fusion that night, reports said.

Huston's girlfriend allegedly told police she drove with Huston to Elkhart in her vehicle, not the maroon Fusion.

Cell phone records showed that the girlfriend never left South Bend on the night of the murder.

On June 9, the woman was interviewed again and admitted to being with Huston on the night of the murder and that they were in the maroon Fusion.

The woman said they saw Long's vehicle stop at a red light and that Huston turned around to where Long's vehicle was.

When she asked what he was doing, Huston told the woman he was "going to hit a lick," according to reports.

Huston broke out the back window of Long's vehicle and shot the person inside, the woman said.

Huston also searched Long's video but the woman didn't know what he took, reports said.

Huston also allegedly wiped his fingerprints off Long's vehicle.

The woman said she yelled at Huston to leave.

She told police she lied when she was interviewed previously because after the murder, Huston pointed the gun at her and threatened to kill her if she said anything, police said.

Huston is being held at the St. Joseph County Jail without bond.

His hearing is scheduled for August 23.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?