Mayor holds press conference about assessment of Elkhart Police Department
ELKHART, Ind. -- Elkhart Mayor Tim Neese held a press conference along with former US Attorney and US Assistant Attorney General Deborah J. Daniels about the assessment of the Elkhart Police Department on Monday.
The mayor says he believes the assessment will reaffirm and enhance the credibility of the department.
Daniels, with Krieg DeVault LLP, will assess the department for use of force, disciplinary processes and agency culture.
She will also work with the Police Executive Research Forum to assess the department and share best practices for the future of the department.
Krieg DeVault and the research group will:
- Conduct onsite interviews and focus groups
- Review complaints against EPD personnel and the EPD disciplinary process
- Use of force policy review and assessment
- Review of use-of-force accountability
- Review three years’ worth of use-of-force investigations and documentation
- Review of use-of-force training
- EPD culture assessment