Michigan updates its COVID-19 safety recommendations for schools
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has updated its COVID-19 recommendations for the upcoming school year.
The MDHHS says the best way to prevent transmission within school buildings is to create layers of defense.
The prevention strategies include:
- Vaccinations for eligible staff and students
- Mask use - the CDC recommends the use of masks for all teachers, staff, students and visitors regardless of vaccination status. The CDC requires masks on public transportation, including school buses.
- Physical distancing - the CDC recommends a physical distance of at least 3 feet between students within classrooms, along with mask wearing by all.
- Screening testing
- Improving ventilation
- Handwashing etiquette
- Staying home when sick - This includes getting tested if having symptoms or close contact with someone with COVID-19.
- Contact tracing - Contact tracing and quarantining.
- Cleaning and disinfection