South Bend schools release reopening plan, will hold listening sessions
South Bend Superintendent Todd Cummings released the plans for reopening school buildings in the fall. The plan allows parents to choose whether students attend in person, use eLearning or enroll in the new South Bend Virtual School.
The plan also includes changes necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some of the changes include:
- All students and staff will be required to have a mask and wear it
- Hand sanitizer will be available in each classroom and building entrances
- Lunch times will be adjusted to maximize available space
- Lunches will be pre-packaged
- Extended passing periods to stagger transitions
- Visitors and guests will be restricted
- No spectators will be allowed at live sporting events
Listening tour (SBCSC staff will be on hand to take input and gather information)
Face coverings are required at all events.
5:00 - 6:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 14
Charles Black Center, 3419 W. Washington St., South Bend, IN, 46619
The Community Room will accommodate social distancing.
5:30 - 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 15
Kroc Center, 900 W Western Ave., South Bend, IN 46601
To be held in tents outside of the Center.
5:00 - 6:00 p.m., Thursday, July 16
Cultivating Life Ministries, 1042 W. Western Ave., South Bend, IN 46601
To be held outdoors.
6:30 - 7:30 p.m., Thursday, July 16
Riley High School, 1902 S. Fellows St., South Bend, IN 46613
Doors open at 6:15 p.m., to be held in the school auditorium.
5:00 - 6:00 p.m., Friday, July 17
Howard Park, 219 S. St. Louis Blvd., South Bend, IN 46617
Rooms B and C will accommodate social distancing.