Options if you can't pay or file taxes by deadline

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The deadline to file your taxes with the IRS is Monday April 15.

You can extend the deadline to file.

If you're short on money, the IRS can work with you to set up a payment plan, an agreement to pay your owed taxes over time.

There might be a setup fee and some interest, but that rate is usually lower than the average credit card interest rates.

Hezekiah Calleros, a Tax Consultant with CFG Tax Service explains that if you can't pay, file your taxes anyway and create an IRS online account.

With that account, you get an ID and set up a payment plan.

CALLEROS, "You can put 30 days, 90 days, 60 days, or 180 days until you finish paying that off or you can go for a long-term plan that can go up till about 36 months and all those depend on the amount you owe."

Calleros also mentions that if you are changing where you live it's important to let your tax person know.

That can either mean bigger refunds or something you might have to owe.

Share this article: