Notre Dame postpones Saturday's game against Wake Forest
The University of Notre Dame has postponed Saturday's game against Wake Forest because of COVID-19.
On Monday, the university conducted 94 COVID-19 tests to student athletes. Of those 94, 7 were positive.
Those 7 athletes are in isolation and their close contacts are being notified.
The Notre Dame football program has consulted with the St. Joseph County Health Department and decided to pause all football related activities until further testing is completed.
Combined with last week's testing, 13 players are in isolation, with 10 in quarantine.
The ACC and Wake Forest have been notified, and the process of rescheduling the game originally slated for Sept. 26 is underway.
“With student-athlete health and safety our primary focus, we will continue to follow our prevention protocols and ongoing testing procedures,” said Head Football Coach Brian Kelly. “We managed an increase in positivity rates in August, and the players handled it wonderfully. We knew COVID would present challenges throughout the season, and we'll always put student-athlete health and safety at the forefront of our decision making. We look forward to resuming team activities and getting back on the playing field.”
Wake Forest issued the following statement:
"Jack Swarbrick called me a short time ago to let me know of their situation," said Wake Forest Director of Athletics John Currie. "I know everyone involved is saddened to be unable to play this weekend, but based on the circumstances it is the right decision. We are already discussing options for rescheduling with the ACC and our future opponents, including the possibility of playing on the October 3rd weekend. We are obviously very disappointed that we will not be able to compete this weekend," said Head Coach Dave Clawson. "However, the health and safety of Wake Forest's and Notre Dame's student-athletes and staff is the highest priority. We will continue to work with the ACC and our administration on rescheduling options."