Marshall upsets Notre Dame 26-21

NOTRE DAME, Indiana -- The Notre Dame Fighting Irish lost to the Marshall Thundering Herd 26-21 on Saturday afternoon at Notre Dame Stadium. 

Notre Dame was sluggish in the opening quarter, and the Marshall defense was stout early on. The Thundering Herd drove down the field on Notre Dame, getting into the red zone as the first quarter ended.   

The game would not be scoreless much longer. Marshall would rush the ball into the endzone right at the start of the second quarter. After a missed extra point, the Thundering Herd took a 6-0 lead over the heavily favored Irish. Notre Dame had a promising drive stopped due to an interception but was able to keep Marshall off the board after the turnover. Notre Dame was finally able to get their offense in gear by the end of the second quarter. The Irish leaned on quarterback Tyler Buchner's running ability throughout the drive, ending with a one-yard touchdown run from Buchner to take the lead 7-6. Marshall would respond quickly, driving down the field and making a field goal right before the half ended. The Thundering Herd took a 9-7 lead into halftime.  

Notre Dame would get a defensive stop on Marshall's opening drive of the half, but then the Irish were stuffed on 4th and 1, turning the ball over on downs. Marshall would drive down the field and kick a field goal to make the score 12-7. Notre Dame leaned on throws to Michael Mayer and Tyler Buchner's legs again to drive all the way down to the one-yard line as the 3rd quarter ended. 

Notre Dame would retake the lead on a Tyler Buchner quarterback sneak on the first play of the fourth quarter. The Irish went for two and were successful on another quarterback option run, taking a 15-12 lead. But Marshall would not go away, driving down the field and scoring a touchdown to regain the lead 19-15. The Thundering Herd would put the game away with an interception returned for a touchdown on Notre Dame's next drive. That took the score to 26-15. Notre Dame would score a touchdown with a few seconds remaining, but did not convert the two-point try and then failed to recover an onside kick. Marshall upset the 8th ranked Fighting Irish 26-21. 

Share this article: