Commemorate fallen veterans across Michiana this Memorial Day Weekend
As we get ready to enjoy the long weekend, we can’t forget why we get the extra day off of work or school in the first place.
Events are taking place all weekend long across Michiana, commemorating the lives of those who died in our nation’s wars.
You’re invited to Lory’s Place in St. Joe this afternoon for a candle lighting and time of sharing memories of your lost loved ones.
That event is at 3pm at Lory’s Place, and anyone is welcome.
You can RSVP at Lory’s Places Facebook page!
Today is also National Poppy Day! You can wear a poppy flower today to honor fallen veterans.
The national observation is thanks to the American Legion Family, who asked Congress to recognize the day.
You can thank them and give back by donating to your local American Legion this weekend too!
The Veteran’s Memorial at Riverfront Park in Niles will also be the starting point for a 5k Memorial Run at 8am on Monday morning.
There are also plenty of Memorial Day Parades happening Monday!
- South Bend - Starting at 8:15am on Lombardy St.
- Elkhart - Starting at 2pm on Harrison St.
- Nappanee - Starting at 10:30an at Nappanee Elementary School
- Middlebury - Starting at 10am at Middlebury Middle School
- Dowagiac - Starting at 10:30am on Front St.
- Buchanan - Starting at 10am at the American Legion on Front St.
- St. Joe - Starting at 12pm at the intersection of Lake Blvd. and Park St.