Second Michigan patient dies from vaping related lung injury
A second Michigan patient has died from a vaping-related lung injury, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
The adult male died on November 26.
“We are deeply saddened to announce a second death associated with this outbreak,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health for MDHHS. “We are urging people to refrain from vaping until the specific cause of the vaping-related severe lung injuries being reported nationwide has been identified. To help with this investigation, we are reminding health care providers to report patients that may have this condition to their local health department.”
As of August, there have been 56 confirmed and probable vaping-relating lung injury cases reported in Michigan. The age range of patients is 15 - 67.
Nationwide, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says there have been 2,290 cases in 49 states as of November 20.
There have been 47 deaths in 25 states, not including the second Michigan death.
Health officials say the patients in the cases reported have vaped THC and nicotine, THC only and nicotine only.
E-cigarette and/or vaping users should immediately seek medical attention if they develop symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, fever and/or nausea and vomiting.