Multiple agencies discharge weapons during Tuesday morning pursuit

ABC 57

UPDATE: According to the Michigan State Police, their Fifth District Special Investigations Section (SIS) detectives were called to investigate an officer involved shooting with two officers, one from Buchanan City Police Department and one from the Berrien County Sheriff's Department around 7 a.m. this morning in the 15000 block of Lakeview Drive in Buchanan Township, near Clear Lake.

Authorities say a BCPD officer responded to a call of an erratic driver complaint in the Buchanan area.

"The officer located the vehicle, a Chevy 2500 Pickup, and attempted to stop it but the driver fled from the officer, resulting in a pursuit," Michigan State Police said. "During the pursuit, it was learned the vehicle was recently reported stolen out of Niles Township. At some point, a Berrien County deputy joined in."

The suspect driver led authorities down a dead-end road before throwing the vehicle into reverse, crashing into both patrol vehicles.

"During the collision, both officers discharged their weapons at the suspect vehicle; however, the suspect was able to continue fleeing and ultimately ditched the vehicle a short time later and fled on foot into a wooded area," MSP said. "He was subsequently located and arrested by a Berrien County K-9 team."

The suspect was uninjured and transported to the Berrien County Jail on multiple felony charges including resisting and obstructing, fleeing and eluding, and possession of a stolen vehicle.

Authorities describe the suspect as a 33-year-old male with ties to the Elkhart and Benton Harbor areas.

Neither the officers, nor the suspect suffered injuries during the pursuit or the gunfire, and both officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of investigation.

This incident remains open pending further investigation.

ORIGINAL: BUCHANAN, Mich. -- Buchanan Community Schools reports they were notified by the Buchanan Police Department of an early Tuesday morning pursuit of a suspect.

After notification, the schools followed perimeter lockdown protocol as police continued their pursuit.

School officials say internal school activities continued while access to the school premises was restricted.

Additional law enforcement and a School Resource Officer maintained a presence outside school buildings.

School officials said police then informed them the suspect had been apprehended at which point the lockdown was lifted.

Share this article: