Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Gas explosion causes major damage to neighborhood

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. – A gas explosion in a home was reported on Sunday morning in Michigan City.

The explosion happened in a house near the 400 block of Pleasant Ave.

It was said to be caused by a gas leak in the house's kitchen, according to the responding fire department. 

NIPSCO investigators, state hazmat, and fire departments isolated the origin of the incident to that singular home.

Officials cannot confirm whether or not the explosion was foul play. 

The house was vacated two weeks ago according to reports and no one was inside.

Ten homes in the neighborhood were directly affected and more could be discovered as people return to their homes.

Red Cross was on the scene to help contact the owners of the homes and help displaced families. 

No injuries were reported.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?