Notre Dame defensive lineman announces departure as team preps for Shamrock Series
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. - Notre Dame defensive lineman Jacob Lacey is leaving the Irish, making the announcement on social media on Thursday.
Head Coach Marcus Freeman confirmed the news during his weekly Zoom press conference.
The senior tackle has played in all four games so far this season.
He had a standout game against Cal, finishing with a career-best five tackles and two sacks.
Lacey will enter the transfer portal but to preserve a year of eligibility he's ending his season now.
"Lacey did a lot of great things for us, but it's a deep position. He made a decision that ultimately he felt was best for him and we respect that," said Coach Freeman. "We love Jacob. The best thing about it is he leaves here with a degree in his hand."
"You'll see Chris Smith play more, you'll see Gabe Rubio for sure," he said. "Both of those two will play a lot more."
The Irish will take on 16th ranked BYU this Saturday in Las Vegas in the Shamrock Series.
ABC57 Kickoff's Allison Hayes and LeVon Whittaker will be at the game and have all of the highlights and post-game reaction on ABC57 News.
Truly, thank you. ? pic.twitter.com/MMrljhWjbS— Jlacey.M©️? (@JacobLacey6) October 6, 2022