New York appeals court reinstates gag order against Donald Trump in civil fraud trial

By Lauren del Valle

New York (CNN) — A New York appellate court has reinstated a gag order prohibiting former President Donald Trump and attorneys from making public statements about the court staff in the ongoing civil fraud trial.

Judge Arthur Engoron originally issued the order barring Trump from making public statements about court staff after Trump made numerous comments about a clerk, who Trump says is biased against him.

Hundreds of threats against Engoron and a law clerk were made public last week. Engoron’s clerk has received 20-30 calls per day to her personal cell phone and 30-50 messages daily on social media platforms and two personal email addresses, according to court papers.

The appeals court paused the gag order earlier this month, but on Thursday said it should be restored.

“Now, upon reading and filing the papers with respect to the motion, and due deliberation having been had thereon, It is ordered that the motion is denied; the interim relief granted by order of a Justice of this Court, dated November 16, 2023, is hereby vacated,” the latest appellate ruling says.

During a break in the trial Thursday morning, Engoron announced the appeals court ruling reinstating the gag order.

“I intend to enforce the gag orders rigorously and vigorously. I want to make sure that counsel informs their clients of the fact that the stay was vacated,” the judge said.

“It is a tragic day for the rule of law, but we’re aware,” Trump’s attorney Chris Kise said.

“It is what it is,” Engoron responded.

This story has been updated with additional developments.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2023 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

Share this article: