Local volunteer fire departments receive grants from DNR
The Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry awarded more than $297,000 in grants to rural, volunteer fire departments throughout Indiana. Several Michiana fire departments received grants.
Recipients were selected based on population density, acres of public wildlands protected, and wildland fire reporting to DNR Fire Control Headquarters.
They can use the grants for training, installation of dry hydrants, or to purchase necessary firefighting equipment and gear to combat wildland fires.
Six fire departments in Michiana received grants:
- LaGrange Volunteer Fire Department in La Grange County received $5,000.00
- LaCrosse Volunteer Fire Department in La Porte County received $5,000
- Noble Township Volunteer Fire Department in La Porte County received $5,000
- Monterey & Tippecanoe Volunteer Fire Departments in Pulaski County received $4,999.00
- Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department in St. Joseph County received $5,000
- Walkerton Fire Dept. in St. Joseph County received $4,683