With the championship looming, Cale Morris adds another trophy to his shelf
SAINT PAUL, Minn. -- Just a day before the national championship game, Notre Dame hockey's star goaltender Cale Morris has tallied another accolade and added another trophy to his shelf.
The sophomore received the Mike Richter Award, an award annually presented to the nation's top goaltender. Morris also earned the First Team West CCM/AHCA All-American honors.
Cale Morris was a Hobey Baker Top 10 Finalist, and Big Ten Player of the Year, Big Ten Goaltender of the Year and Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Player in 2018.
Morris leads the nation in save percentage at .944, all while playing 21 games against the country's top 15 scoring offenses and facing more shts on goal than any other goalie in the nation (1,238).
According to The University of Notre Dame, Morris is just the 14th player to earn 15 total All-American honors for the Fighting Irish. He is the first to do so since Ander Bjork last season.
Cale Morris is the first Richer Award winner in Notre Dame history.
Below is a list of Cale Morris' accolades and achievements for the 2017-18 season.
• Mike Richter Award Winner (April 6)
• First Team (West) CCM/AHCA All-American (April 6)
• Hobey Baker Top 10 Finalist (March 14)
• Mike Richter Award Finalist (March 22)
• Big Ten Player of the Year (March 13)
• Big Ten Goaltender of the Year (March 13)
• Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Player (March 17)
• First Team All-Big Ten (March 13)
• Hobey Baker fan vote nominee (Jan. 15)
• Hockey Commissioners’ Association (HCA) Player of the Month (Dec. 6)
• 5X Big Ten First Star of the Week (Nov. 14/21/28, Dec. 5, Feb. 6)
• 2X Big Ten Second Star of the Week (Nov. 7, Jan. 9)
• Big Ten Third Star of the Week (Jan. 30)
The Irish will take the ice on Saturday, April 7 when they play Minnesota Duluth for the national title at Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on ESPN.