Erica Horvatin, Meteorologist
Erica Horvatin joined the ABC 57 First Warning Neighborhood Weather Team in August 2016. She is the Weekend Evening Meteorologist, and she reports live for weather on weekday evenings.
This is the second stop in Erica's path as she pursues her dream career. She is from the Chicagoland area and is a proud graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
While attending the University of Illinois, Erica immersed herself in the study of weather. Some of her favorite memories include meeting Tom Skilling, storm chasing with classmates across Illinois, and her big Field Studies course. On a two-week trip across the Plains, she witnessed her first tornado, was caught in a dust storm, and was storm chasing in the vicinity of the Moore, Oklahoma tornado and El Reno tornado of 2013.
After graduating, Erica quickly accepted a Weekend Meteorologist position at KNBN in Rapid City, South Dakota. This was a big move, but she ended up falling in love with the Black Hills. Erica enjoyed the active weather pattern and all of the activities that the Black Hills had to offer. She became an avid adventurer. While in Rapid City, Erica spoke at the Women in Science Conference, and had the opportunity to inspire girls to follow their STEM dreams. While working at KNBN she was also a reporter, which she enjoyed.
Erica is closer to home now, and looks forward to seeing her family and friends more often. Outside of work she loves music, concerts, the outdoors, hiking, craft beer and wineries, yoga and much more.
Articles by Erica Horvatin
- Hot today, clouds and rain tomorrow
- Rain on Solar Eclipse day
- Summer heat returns
- Clearing night for Meteor Shower
- Timing of rain showers
- Rain moving in by tonight
- One more chance for showers
- More rain for the weekend
- Warming back up!
- Overnight storms & cool Friday
- Severe thunderstorm threat returns
- Nice start to the new week
- Pleasant weather continues
- Rain moving in
- Identifying rip currents
- Few more storms - then cooling and drying
- Understanding humidity and its effects as Michiana heats up
- Record breaking rainfall for Michiana
- Starting the new week with nice weather
- Sunday showers and storms
- Monday storms threatening Michiana
- One more beautiful day before storms return
- Few overnight showers before a beautiful weekend
- Storms quieting down tonight
- July weather outlook
- Thunderstorms to roll through this evening
- Holiday weekend breakdown
- Storms tonight with rain chances this weekend
- Strong to severe storms to end the week
- June weather feeling a bit backwards
- Storms and cool weather
- More rain to start the week
- Strong to severe storms tonight
- First summer heat wave brings record warmth
- Temperatures go up, air quality goes down
- Hot Temperatures, unhealthy air quality
- T-Storms tonight, sunny & warm weekend
- Showers and Storms for Friday
- Sun and 70s, chance for a shower
- Falling temps and rain showers
- Cooler and clear for start of work week
- Feeling like summer this weekend, strong t-storms possible